Thursday, October 22, 2015

My First Attempts at Terrain

       So as you should know now, I'm a father of two children and my wife is the only one who works. Which mean models are hard to come by, but not just models. Terrain is another part of our hobby, and everyone knows without good terrain you just won't have a good game. Me and my cousin have started battling each other, our first game had maybe two pieces of terrain, and let me tell you. It wasn't fun. The battle didn't flow well, the field looked bland and it was just rough. So i've taken it upon myself to purchase a hot glue gun, some popsicle sticks, and to use whatever I can find laying around the house. Whatever I can find lying around usually means diaper boxes and cereal boxes. Not the best stuff to use I know, but in a pinch it seemed to turn out pretty decent.

   So without further ado, from the Eye of Terror itself I give you

                       SEREDENS CREATIONS!!!!!! (Imagine mystical music in the background )

 First off I have something real simple. just a section of a ruined wall. It's not fancy, it's still unpainted but it does what it's supposed to do.


 The second thing I've made is.. well... I'm not entirely sure what to call it. A silo? Oil tank? Beats me. Again, not fancy, not painted but it works. You can fit a squad of 5 terminators up there (The last one has half his base hanging off but what the hey?)

 My third little terrain feature are two craters. I molded them from some of the bakeable clay (got it from wal-mart for pretty cheap for a pound) I've only gotten around to basing it... as you see but I feel like they came out pretty good.


         Then my fourth (and Fifth?) things are literally just some rocks I dug out the drive way and hot glued together the best I could to some cardboard. Gonna get some PVA glue and put sand on it later but I don't have any at the moment. Works great for LoS blocking and making a kill zone.




The little trick I've done with all the carboard I kind of half baked it up myself. I cut two pieces how i needed them (Especially from the cereal boxes) then broke popsicle sticks however long i needed them and hot glued them between the two pieces. Gave the cardboard alot more stability and makes it a little tougher. I'm thinking about trying to tape around the edges to cover up the gap, but we'll see.




2 comments:

  1. That's a great start. I did very much the same thing when I got into 40K and had to get together terrain.

    A minor suggestion. Cut the bases you put things on so it's irregular. Having everything on square or rectangle bases like that can just look a bit odd. Just cut in and out of the base from the sides so you don't have perfect lines. Know what I mean?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was wondering that. They looked a little bland but I was gonna wait to see how they look after I get some basing on them and what not. I plan on making some more tonight so I'll try that out.

    ReplyDelete