Thursday, October 22, 2015

Introductions and such

       Getting back into Warhammer 40K after quite a while of a break and figured I'd try starting up my own blog to keep myself motivated for it. To all you Heretics, Xenos and Imperials I will be known as Sereden, and I invite you into my personal world of hobbying, modeling, ranting and just rambling sometimes.
     

      As the post says this first one is just for introductions so I'll start there and see where the night takes me. My family lives in Northern Louisiana, right at the border of Texas, Arkansas, and Louisiana. Born and mostly raised here. I'm a 24 year old stay at home dad (Strange I know. Gender roles seems to have been swapped a bit) me and my wife have two children so i don't get much time to put aside for my favorite sci-fi universe. I first got into 40K while i was deployed to Kuwait a few years back and they had "Emperors Mercy" By Henry Zhou in the PX on base. It looked like the only book worthwhile to read as I had quickly exhausted all the books I brought with me. So I picked it up, paid the measly 8 or 9 bucks they wanted for it and brought it back to my bunk. Needless to say I fell in love almost instantly. I was absorbed from the first page to the last, and as soon as I finished went back to the PX to gather up every book I could find with Warhammer 40K on the cover. Thankfully a few other posts and bases we went to had a little more of a selection.
 

     As a soldier the brutal unrestrained violence appealed to me. I could imagine myself laying behind a trench, shooting hopelessly with a weapon at an enemy I had no hope of stopping but knew I had to try, or to flip it and be charging an enemy with thoughts of murder. (No I'm not psychotic. I said i could IMAGINE it.) It was like I finally found my Star Wars. My Battlestar Galactica. I lived, breathed, drank and ate Warhammer 40K. I would get on the 40K wiki and just read random articles. Needless to say I was obsessed.


    Something about the Chaos Marines called to me. Their baroque armor, their ruthless attitudes and disdain for everything just drew me in. It's not anything I can explain to anyone else, I'm sure plenty of Chaos fans know exactly what I'm talking about. Not to say other factions didn't appeal to me. I'm a huge fan of the Raven Guard, Tyranids, Even the Imperial gu... I mean Astra Millitarum.

   The Horus Heresy was my next step into my new world. At the moment I personally own half the books and have read all of them but the latest. I don't care if everyone in the world tells me it's a bad book. I'm going to absorb it and love it. The exploits of Mankind and the corruption of Chaos is just something I love to read about. To see how twisted and brutal Horus becomes, but still sees himself as righteous, and how the legions unite against each other. It never gets old to me.

  As far as the tabletop goes I have a decent sized Dark Angels force, that I sometimes like to use as Raven Guard as well with some units switched out. I have a small Chaos army as well as a Tyranid army. I've recently had to sell most of my models to make ends meet for a bit so my forces are severely depleted. I also don't miss a good oppurtunity to rush into melee, imagining my little plastic mens trading blows with other plastic mens is something I can't resist. So I'll occasionally post Bat-reps as well. They'll be few and far between though. Stay at home dad doesnt leave much time for playing.

   That's pretty well my roots in 40K and just some general info about me. Would be nice to have a fairly successful blog and to make some friends along the way who share the passion for 40K (Ignoring GW's prices and some of their practices) to chat with and tell me how they think I'm doing. So that'll be it for tonight. Kids are ready for bed and I got stuff to do after they go to sleep.

    "Immortality is the gift of Choas, in return Chaos demands blood"

3 comments:

  1. Welcome to the blogosphere!

    Ah, Chaos. They weren't my first army but very likely my last because since playing Chaos I've had no interest in any other armies. There is a pull that, as you noted, is hard to explain but no less stronger for it.

    40K is an amazing hobby. It has background/fluff/novels, modeling, painting and gaming. Then you add in blogging about 40K and you find yourself needing no other hobbies :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even though they were at the bottom for a while i still love them. I can't wait to try out Daemonkin. The fluff is what sucked me in. I just couldn't get enough. Heck I still can't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Were? I fear they still "are" near the bottom. That doesn't stop me from playing them because it's just an amazingly fun army.

      Khorne Daemonkin is great. Very fluffy, great background and the rules are very characterful. Anxious to see how the other Daemonkin books will be once each Chaos God gets his/her own.

      Delete